Monday 10 September 2012

Sad coinidences

It's really rubbish when you hear bad news.

We've known Rab and John for a long time: Dougal has known them since primary school and I've known them for over thirty years.  We don't see them very often now - because of various work and family reasons - but when we do meet up or speak it's like we'd seen each other yesterday.  There is never any strangeness or any awkwardness between us - we just have a good blether and catch up - and usually a few drinks.

The last time we met up with John was almost a year ago and it's been a lot longer since seeing Rab.  So, how's this for a coincidence?  On Friday night I was told that John's mum had died on Wednesday (5th Sept.) About an hour and a half later Rab phoned to say his mum had died earlier that day (7th Sept.)

So, this week begins and ends in sadness.  John's mum's funeral was this morning and Rab's is on Friday.  The one positive thing is we all met up this morning and despite the sadness we still managed to have a quiet giggle about silly things from the past.  We'll all see each other on Friday again - I just wish it was under happier circumstances.

But, it's given us a timely collective kick up the arse and reminded us we should see each other more often.

It's been a while since my last blog - but I've not just been sitting staring at the wall.  Well, I have at times but I've also been doing other things.  I've written and submitted my article for the Glasgow West End Magazine.  I know it's only September but it was all about panto.  My editor thought it might be good to interview my daughter because she's a theatre and set designer - and she's designing the Cottier Theatre's panto this year.  I also interviewed the guys who are writing, directing and starring in this year's offering 'Weans in the Wood.'  I thought it might be quite strange interviewing Kirsten but it was really nice.  It gave us a chance to think back to when she was three and her first visit to a theatre.  It was also lovely to spend some time chatting to Ian Bustard and Mark Cox about their panto.  It sounds like a cracker (please forgive that terrible pun) so if you're up for cheering the goodies and booing the baddies this year get yourself along to Cottier's Theatre.  Oh - and you can read the full article in the October/November's issue of the fabulous, free magazine Glasgow West End Magazine - available in most pubs, cafe's and coffee shops all over the west end. (Please forgive that terrible plug)

The other piece of writing I've done in the last week is a radio pitch which I emailed to Radio 4 and Radio Scotland producer David Stenhouse.  I won't say what it's about as yet but I will say there's probably very little chance of it being made - I haven't had a reply yet. The fact I haven't heard from Mr Stenhouse doesn't mean he doesn't like my idea.  It's possible he hasn't got it yet.  I'm hoping he's on holiday or off sick.  I don't mean I hope he's sick.  I hope he's very healthy.  Oh shit - I think I'll stop digging now.  

I'll tell all about my idea if I hear from him.

And that's not all I've been writing.  Last week saw the start of a new season of a Play, A Pie and a Pint.  Each week they have a competition where the best review of a play in under 100 words wins a bottle of malt whisky.  I went to see 'Dead Famous' by Keith Temple with Catherine from uni.  I emailed my entry which just appeared on the PPP website today.  I gave it a nice wee review because I liked the play and found it quite funny.  However, there are another couple of reviews completely slating it.  It made me consider my judgement.  I probably won't win the whisky because the PPP team will no doubt think I'm a sycophantic twat.  But, then again - you never know.

A while ago I was told there might be a chance I could get an article printed in The Scotsman about the closure of the Caterpillar factory.  Sam told me at my last tutorial I should follow this up so I'm off to send an email to the man who might be able to make it happen.

I've just remembered I said I was going to keep you up to date on my attempts to lose weight.  Well - I'm saying nothing, except I'm going to start again tomorrow - again.


No comments:

Post a Comment