Tuesday 19 June 2012

Better

I'm feeling a wee bit better about things.  I mean, I'm still confused but not quite so much. 

The order of the chapters are still giving cause for concern.  My problem is I don't want to explain too much too soon but the way things are at the moment my reason for writing the book is coming too late - I think.

I need to find a way of moving from one to the other without being too obvious or too random.  Am I talking any sense what so ever? 

I'm now at around 9,100 words - about half way.  Not bad at all but with only a matter of days before I go on holiday I can say with certainty the first draft won't be done by then.  This is disappointing.  But, I didn't realise there was about 3 weeks to get it finished when I get back - and I suppose there's always the holiday time itself.  I'll be taking all my books etc with me so I don't suppose it'll be too bad sitting in a beach cafe with my laptop.  If Dahne Du Maurier can do it then so can I.  I don't mean Du Maurier sat in a cafe with a laptop.  No.  She wrote her best work in Cornwall and lived in St Ives for a while after the 2nd World War.  I've heard it say that the seagulls in St Ives were the inspiration for her novella The Birds.  That doesn't surprise me at all - the seagulls are crazy down there.  They are definitely the neds of the bird world.

I've been working on the book all day.  It's now time to take a break. 

Did I say break?  I'm going to have a glass of wine while I do an ironing and watch England play Ukraine, but I just know Mr. Lipton won't be far from my thoughts. 

He never is.

No comments:

Post a Comment