Friday 15 June 2012

Rethink

I had my first supervision session yesterday - after a shaky start. 

I was already feeling rubbish with this cold I've got and getting up at half six really didn't help.  I felt a bit better once I'd set out only to run into a traffic jam on the M8.  There had been an accident and it took me 45 minutes to get to Harthill - normally it takes about 15.  I called Sam to let her know and she suggested we could re-schedule out meeting.  NO!!!  After the effort it had taken I was going to get there if it killed me.  I got there about ten past nine - not too bad.

I've already said I wasn't looking forward to the meeting but it was ok.  In fact I actually quite enjoyed it - until I came home, read my notes and scrutinised what Sam had written on my script.  It wasn't bad - it was constructive.  But the idea of completely rethinking my approach and discarding a good chunk of content is now firmly lodged in my head. 

The first thing I really need to do is sort out the chapters and think of the book as a three act structure.  This should help put all the information I've gathered into clear categories and let it find its natural place in the overall piece.

So once again I find myself staring at a blank computer screen.  I alway find one of the hardest part about writing is getting the first line.  David Bishop once told me if I was having difficulty starting I should consider start in the middle or at the end.  It's good advice but it's fair to say I'm a bit concerned.

Here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment