Saturday 12 May 2012

Decision made.

I've had a long think about what I should write in the blog.  At the moment I'm doing an MA in Creative Writing at Napier Uni which this leads me nicely into what the blog is going to be about.  My final assessment - the Major Project - is due to be handed in on August 10th so I thought it might be a good idea to keep a record of how things are going.

I'm focussing on Creative Non-Fiction rather than writing a novel.  Very briefly CNF is writing factual stuff in a creative way.  It's harder than it sounds.  I've decided to write my 20,000 word project about Sir Thomas Lipton and my attempts to have him commemorated in Glasgow.

I started it properly last Monday.  I spent the first two days in The Mitchell Library looking at newspapers from 1931.  It was brilliant.  So interesting; I was finding out about things and people I'd only heard about.  It was amazing to think I was reading what was actually reported in the papers of the time.  It was difficult to stay focussed on Lipton.  After two days I came away with a clutch of photocopies of articles which I'm hoping is going to help me create a story.  Over Wednesday and Thursday I managed to write nearly 1,500 words.  So, only 18,500 to go. 

For different reasons I've taken Friday and Saturday off.  Well, I say I've taken the time off but I'm constantly thinking about it.  And when I'm not thinking about it I'm talking about it.  So, if you see me around in the next few months be prepared to be Liptoned.


No comments:

Post a Comment