Sunday 27 May 2012

Reality kicks in.

Major Project became very, very real on Friday.

It always was real.  I mean, I always knew I had to do it but when you've got Sam and David standing in front of you detailing exactly what's expected and that the shiny and polished perfect piece of literature has to be delivered in 77 days it suddenly becomes something other than - something I need to do.  I now have a couple of months to get all the words and stuff out of my head, onto the page and into some sort of understandable order.

I know it sounds daunting but I'm determined to enjoy it.  Writing a book about Sir Thomas Lipton is I want to do - and now I've got the chance.  I need to make the most of it.

It was my last day at uni on Friday.  I still have four supervision sessions before the hand in date but it was my last time in the class.  Quite sad really.  It's been a tough couple of years but I've learned so much.  Now's the time to put it all into practice.

A lovely couple of hours was spent in the company of my classmates in the Traverse Bar to mark the occasion.  It's just as well I was driving.  Dougal might have had to send a search party to Edinburgh if I hadn't been.

But, how the hell am I supposed to write anything in this weather?  It's bloody gorgeous.  At the moment it's nearly five o'clock and it's 31.9 degrees in the shade.  That's what my digital thermometer tells me and I believe it.  Usually I work at a PC in my bedroom but I've been enticed out by people saying things like, "It'll not last forever, you know" and "They say it's going to rain tomorrow."  So, I've rigged my laptop up with an extension cable (because the battery's knacked) and I've been sitting outside writing all day.  Great idea - but now I find the damn thing's overheating in the sun.  I know the feeling.  I suppose I'll need to switch the poor wee thing off and let it cool off. 

What's the difference between humans and machines?  Humans can cool down with a large glass of Pinot Grigio - or five.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment