Saturday 14 July 2012

Return

My two week mental regeneration stint in my favourite holiday destination is over - and I had a brilliant time.  We all had a brilliant time - all 7 of us.  A great big thank you to everyone for making St Ives 2012 as great as all the other times.

The weather was decidedly dodgy but, like I think I've already said, I would forgive St Ives anything.  Somehow the place seems to have its own wee micro climate and even in the drizzliest of days the sun manages to struggle through for a couple of hours.  I'm not really that bothered about the weather though - my skin doesn't like the sun so the fact that it went into hiding means it  actually saved me a small fortune on Factor 50+.  As long as I can gaze out to sea for hours and watch the waves I'm happy.

On our first day I spotted Neil Oliver - which was quite nice.

Then we would see him everywhere - on a bus with the wife and weans, passing our window (several times).  "Neil" watching became an amusing past time.  I even spotted him coming out of the gents on the way to Porthminster.  And the last time I saw him he was striding across Porthgwidden beach.  I swear it was just like watching an episode of Coast - except he didn't have a camera crew behind him to speak into.  I must say - he's quite a striking figure but the telly doesn't do his hair justice.  It's just lovely. 

Despite being on holiday I still worked.  I had to.  I was up every morning about 7.30am to try and get a few hours done before the house came to life.  I was limited in what I could do because there was no internet access.  To get on-line I had to go to the library or drag myself to a beautiful wee teashop which served deliciously relaxing exotic teas (and I mean teas which opened up into a flower) to connect with the world.  Sometimes I had to drink two pots.  It was hell.

But I feel I didn't get done what I wanted to - so I'm feeling a bit AAAGGGHHHH - how the hell am I going to get this done? - this morning.  I'm sure I'm not alone.  Everyone on the course has probably felt like that at some point.

What I did get done was a lot of reading and note taking.  I also had my Skype meeting with Sam and managed to cobble together something for my next meeting with David which is on Thursday.

I've also worked a lot on the chapter breakdown.  At the moment I feel like I'm wandering around without a map - and I have the worst sense of direction - so I if I get that right I think I'll feel a lot better.


Needless to say I didn't get anything written yesterday because we were driving home.  The journey took eleven hours - thanks to some well meaning, motorway watching, keyboard happy, namby pamby official who kept flashing up on the gantry " Queues Ahead - 40MPH".


I know there is a great need to be careful etc etc but this started before we reached Birmingham and lasted until well after Liverpool - we were stopping and starting for about three and a half hours and when we got through each queue - there was absolutely no obvious reason for it.  When the same official flashed up "End" the cars flowed along beautifully.


I think the road would have been fine if they had just let the drivers drive instead of warning them every five minutes there might be queues.  I'm convinced it was actually the motorway watchers who were actually causing the damn queues. 


Rant over - anybody got a deliciously relaxing exotic tea handy?


Ok - now it's back to work time.  I have no excuse.  It's only 2 weeks and 6 days and about 6,500 words until I hand my incredibly polished and perfectly formed work of creative non-fiction.


Oh, oh!  I can feel it.  Here it comes.


AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment